THE Greater Kokstad Municipality has moved swiftly in appointing the new Chief Financial Officer (CFO), a strategic position for the institution, following the resignation of the previous incumbent. Within a matter of weeks after former CFO, Thando Mketsu resigned, the Municipality wasted no time and commenced with the processes to appoint a new incumbent and Siyabonga Khoza was successfully selected to fill the vacancy. Khoza’s appointment was warmly welcomed by the Municipal Council since he has been dubbed “Mr No Nonsense” who is upstanding and values his work. He has worked in the finance department for some time and has been often selected to act in the position on certain occasions.
The Kokstad Mayor, Bheki Mtolo said: “what I like about Khoza is he is a product of the Greater Kokstad Municipality who is familiar with our mission and vision and our stand on corruption,” Mtolo said. He said he liked the fact that some councillors commended Khoza’s appointment and dubbed him “Mr no nonsense”. Municipal manager Mr Sipho Zwane and Cllr BM Mtolo congratulates the new CFO Mr. Siyabonga Khoza. “[Khoza] knows very well that here in Kokstad we deal with both tigers and flies, we are not only targeting clerks but even their bosses must account and can be shown the door if they cannot comply,” said Mtolo. He said Khoza is also aware that the municipality’s financial plans are based on fulfilling the vision of Kokstad becoming a “City of Economic Possibilities” by 2047. More and above the aforementioned credit, Mr Khoza’s profile gives the municipality confidence in appointing him at this position, his profile reflects that he holds a BCOM obtained from the university of KZN and project management from the University of Cape Town. He affiliates with:-
- CIPFA: Chatered Instistute Of Financial Accountants
- CIGFARO: The Chartered Institute of Government Finance Audit and Risk Officers
- SAAMA: The Southern African Asset Management Association
- SAIBPP: South African black property practitioners. In terms of career experience, he started in an accounting, taxation, and auditing firm, as a trainee to senior consultant managing clients. He assisted Public and Private entities with Drafting of Annual financial statements
- Prepare the budget control reports
- Preparation of financial reports and reconciliation of all management accounts to ensure that the resources of the Municipality
- External and Internal Auditing
- Compilation of GRAP compliant asset registers, Knowledge of computerized accounting software, Compliance with GRAP (Generally accepted accounting practice) and MFMA (Municipal Finance management Act) and National Treasury compliance,
- Sound professional knowledge and understanding of the accounting discipline
- Drafting of Annual financial statements, Prepare the budget control reports, Preparation of financial reports and reconciliation of all management accounts to ensure that the resources of the Municipality are recorded
- Project Management
- Revenue consultation /compliance
- Hlabisa Local Municipality
- Jozini Local Municipality
- KZN Oils Pty (Ltd)
- Exotic Kitchens Pty (Ltd)
- Umzimkhulu Local Muncipality
- Dundee Local Municipality
- Jansenville Local Municipality (Dr Beyers Naude Local Municipality).
He joined Greater Kokstad Local Municipality in 2012 and occupied the following positions: Assistant Manager: Revenue 2012, he was later appointed as the Manager: Budget and reporting where he was also responsible for various other functions; the Compilation of Interim and Annual Financial statements. Submit monthly treasury reports. Preparation of financial reports and reconciliation of all management accounts to ensure that the resources of the Municipality of the Municipality are used effectively, efficiently, and economically. Compilation of Annual Financial Statements to comply with the Municipal Finance Management Act, Liaise with internal and external auditors, and Compilation of GRAP Compliant asset register. He further worked as Manager: Assets and financial reporting where the municipality Insourced the function of compiling financial statements and built capacity to perform such functions internally, thus resulting in savings to the municipality. His focus was Compilation of Interim and Annual Financial statements, to Submit monthly treasury reports. The Preparation of financial reports and reconciliation of all management accounts to ensure that the resources of the Municipality are used effectively, efficiently, and economically, Compilation of Annual Financial Statements to comply with the Municipal Finance Management Act, to Liaise with internal and external auditors, and the Compilation of GRAP Compliant asset register. He would act as Chief Financial Officer (CFO) as and when required.